Senior Statistician or Senior Data Analyst
REPORTING TO:Food Science and Nutrition Research Directorate
1 year with possible extension to 3 year
Main Duties Include:
|The EPHI is seeking one qualified Statistician or experienced Data Analyst to work on the NIPN project within the NIPN Analysis Unit under the supervision of the Head of the Analysis Unit. His/her role is to undertake the statistical analysis of data to help answer the questions posed by the NIPN advisory committee. These questions will be related to the role and impact of policies, programmes and interventions in all sectors to improving human nutrition and to tracking changes in nutrition indicators and factors that may influence nutrition over time and in space. The work of the Statistician/Data Analyst will be guided by a Senior Analysis Advisor and may be undertaken in collaboration with technical advisors from sectors working on specific analysis projects. The Statistician/Data Analyst will join a small team working in the NIPN at EPHI to collect, aggregate, and merge data sets for analysis as well as creating new data sets of summary statistics for presentation in data dashboards.The work of the Statistician/Data Analyst will involve:· Cleaning data and methodically assessing its quality before analysis;· Merging data sets or creating new data sets for analysis;· Creating or deriving new variables from existing data sets;· Labelling variables and ensuring that they are accurately described;· Assessing the distribution of variables so that the most appropriate statistical tests are applied;· Analyzing data using statistical software such as STATA or R by applying the most appropriate and robust statistical methods and sampling weights;· Creating, annotating and maintaining syntax files of analysis that records all changes made to variables and the statistical procedures applied so that they can be checked and repeated; ·Methodically storing and cataloguing the syntax files, the output files and any history file of analysis to create a record of the analysis done; · Creating tables of results and statistical output;· Creating maps of the distribution of variables;· Creating graphs and figures to present data;· Helping technical advisors to interpret the output of analysis;|
Applying best practices in data processing, management and analysis.
|· PhD in biostatistics, or M.Sc. degree in Statistics or Mathematics with statistics, or a degree in Epidemiology or Public Health with statistics.|
Five years’ experience for the PhD holders and seven years’ experience (for MSc holders) of work organising and analysing large data sets, ideally biomedical or agricultural in origin, using statistical software
SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE:
Experience in using statistical software is required; experience with STATA and/or R statistical software would be an advantage. An ability to write reports of the analysis done in English.
Required Number (1)
EpiGen-Ethiopia is a research grant funded by the Global Health (GH) – European and Developing Countries Clinical Trials Partnership (EDCTP) – 3 / European Union (EU). The overall objective of EpiGen-Ethiopia is to strengthen pathogen genomic surveillance for provision of in-depth epidemiological data to support clinical decision-making and informed public health decision process in Ethiopia.
EpiGen-Ethiopia is a collaborative effort between EPHI and Amsterdam Institute of Global Health and Development (AIGHD), University of Amsterdam (The Netherlands), ISGlobal-University of Barcelona (Spain), Heinrich Heine University Düsseldorf (Germany), AHRI, St. Paul’s Hospital Millenium Medical College (SPHMMC), Arsi University (AU), Jimma University (JU), Hawassa University (HU) and Baher Dar University (BDU).
In the above context, EpiGen-Ethiopia based at the EPHI is seeking Project Manager and Data Manager to assist with the project in Ethiopia:
Scope of Work:
Specifically, the scope of work of the Project Manager will include:
a) Project management
· To support the timely implementation of work plans and budgets according to the proposed annual work plans.
· Monitor and support the implementation of work plan and budgets, support reviews of progress and the formation of and implementation of action plans.
· Support the tracking and reviewing of project M&E plan and the reaching of project deliverables and milestones.
· Support and coordinate the project reporting to GH-EDCTP3 as required by the work plan.
· Support and coordinate graduate training programs, in collaboration with partner EU-based or local institutions.
· Support organization and communication of major meetings and events, such as Research Team meetings and short- and medium-term trainings.
· Give support to EPHI finance and contract compliance including procurement procedures, and to training and monitoring in GH-EDCTP3 Statutory FP compliance.
· Support the coordination of collaborators to the project and for their visits to the country or EPHI.
· To contribute to effective communication and collaboration between the Project Team and all partners to achieve the projects goals.
· To oversee that the Ethical Requirements of the project is updated regularly.
· Support onboarding of interns and consultants.
b) Technical Support
·Development of effective partnerships in country to strengthen pathogen genomic surveillance networks.
· Capacity building of graduate students involved in the project.
· Working with strategic partners to oversee and implement multi-institution, comprehensive pathogen genomic surveillance projects in partnership with the African CDC, and other global and local partners.
· Working closely with senior-level project staff, and EPHI and Regional Laboratories staff, to conceptualize, design and implement regional and in-country capacity building plans
· Participate in the development and dissemination and exploitation of results.
· To write and review a range of technical reports e.g. project reviews, reports to the project team and GH-EDCTP3 as required.
· To represent EpiGen-Ethiopia Project at relevant regional meetings with African CDC and others for the project as appropriate.
· To support the development and implementation of annual technical work plans and budgets, for Ethiopia.
· A PhD degree in molecular biology or related fields.
· A minimum of 6 years experience in project management and implementation.
· Experience in project management, preferably with significant experience in pathogen genomic epidemiology.
· Proven ability to communicate well with, motivate, guide, and direct all levels of staff.
· Must have exceptional planning and organizational skills and be very detail-oriented.
· Experience of working in a multi-site project with experience of constructing and managing work plan and monitoring
· A sound technical knowledge/scientific understanding of pathogen genomic surveillance.
· Strong and demonstrable proficiency with Microsoft Office applications
How to Apply
Note Interested applicants can register in Online through only ethiojobs.net send their CVs and relevant documents at the address given below within 7 days from the first appearance of the announcement
Remarks: Please attach copies of transcripts, academic degree or recommendation letters together with the application. If not attached the copies you may be not short listed.
Applicants must follow the link and fill out the application form to be considered for the role.
You should read the vacancy announcement carefully, check the vacancy details, prepare your CV or Application details, and submit your application as instructed by the organization.
Visit our website to find updated job vacancies: https://sholajobs.com
Join Our Telegram if You have not Joined it Already
Join us on Telegram ስራዎችን በቴሌግራም ለመከታተል ይህንን ይጫኑ
Telegram channel: https://t.me/ngoethiopia
Please remember to visit www.sholajobs.com whenever you’re looking for a job in Ethiopia. We hope the site will help you find exactly what you’re looking for.