The Country Director leads all aspects of TechnoServe’s country level strategic branding and operations to achieve sustainable economic development in a cost-effective manner. This position serves as TechnoServe’s legal representative in Ethiopia and will provide overall management of TechnoServe Ethiopia, including HR, procurement, finance and operations, ensuring efficient and effective and high quality implementation of programs, compliance with all donor and local legal requirements as well as TechnoServe policies, statutory and organizational laws and regulations.
Over the past decade, TechnoServe has been working in Ethiopia to address key challenges in agricultural market systems, challenges in industries, and businesses. TechnoServe’s current portfolio in Ethiopia includes twelve active projects, which are implemented by our team of 135 full-time employees as well as over 180 farmer trainers who are from and reside in rural communities. The projects are funded by a mix of donors including bilateral donors, private sector partners and foundations. TechnoServe Ethiopia is currently focused on strengthening a variety of value chains, including coffee, honey, vegetables, as well as supporting Ethiopian agro-processors to improve quality and business practices, and supporting growth sector firms to improve business practices and efficiency in order to create more jobs. Our work actively engages thousands of farmers, hundreds of primary cooperatives, and dozens of unions and agribusinesses. TechnoServe has also built a robust network of local partnerships in Ethiopia. We partner with the Ethiopian government, farmers, cooperatives, input suppliers, agro-processors, and other public and private sector firms as well as financial institutions.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Leadership: Manage Ethiopia’s Senior Management Team, currently Program Managers, Deputy Country Director and leaders of the HR, Finance and Procurement functions. Develop among staff a principled commitment to TechnoServe’s mission and build a working culture that aligns with organizational values of integrity, collegiality; foster a working environment for in-country staff that makes TechnoServe a priority destination for motivated local professionals and develop a team spirit among the staff.
- Human resources: Execute authority to: (a) Manage personnel subject to TechnoServe’s one-over-one approval process and Human Resources policy, and (b) Hire independent consultants in accordance with TechnoServe’s procurement policy; ensure timely completion of HR-related reports including performance appraisals and annual salary adjustments, among others.
- Regional Coordination: establish and maintain strong working relationships with divisional, regional and HQ teams; ensure information is shared and flows transparently within the country project team and to the regional program management team.
- Stakeholder Representation: Establish and maintain strong relationships with relevant stakeholders in Ethiopia, including government ministries, private sector companies, business associations, and civil society organizations; securing their support as needed; represent TechnoServe Ethiopia at internal and external functions.
- Legal Compliance: Represent TechnoServe in all legal matters at the country level, and ensure TechnoServe retains and consults with qualified local legal counsel as needed; ensure that TechnoServe is properly registered in Ethiopia and complies with all local laws; establish and manage a board of directors if required. Execute agreements with local government, bilateral and multilateral institutions, and client groups.
- Finance: Review and approve expenditures to ensure compliance with country and donor budgets and TechnoServe’s procurement/finance policies; ensure submission of high quality reports and documents to TechnoServe’s HQ on a timely basis in accordance with the corporate calendar, including monthly financial close, annual and mid-year budgets; monitor burn rates on a monthly basis and course correct spending as needed and/or ensure donor and internal budget realignments are requested and approved when required.
- Ethiopia Program Oversight: Coach and supervise leaders / managers of Ethiopia’s programs for successful delivery of results; ensure timely submission of internal reports including PSRs and corporate measurement; ensure timely submission of high quality donor reports with support of the divisional back-stopping team; support country-level adaptation and use of program management tools; work with program staff to identify and address technical assistance needs in Ethiopia.
- Program Development: In collaboration with East Africa leadership and program development teams, execute a new business strategy aligned with TechnoServe’s global and regional strategies, maintain strong relationships with a wide range of donors, and develop a robust pipeline of new program opportunities to grow the Ethiopia platform and scale TechnoServe’s impact.
- Bachelor’s degree in economics, international relations business or related field, with a minimum of 12 years of experience; or Master’s degree in economics, international economics, international relations/policy, with a minimum of 10 years of experience.
- 5 years’ implementation and management experience relating to large-scale projects with responsibility for all aspects of operations.
- Experience working in developing countries, with a preference for East Africa program management.
- Significant operations experience, including experience in budget development and management; private sector experience; donor and stakeholder management experience.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified applicants can send their applications and a copy of non returnable CV with the necessary documents to the following link below
Applicants must follow the link and fill out the application form to be considered for the role.
You should read the vacancy announcement carefully, check the vacancy details, prepare your CV or Application details, and submit your application as instructed by the organization.
Visit our website to find updated job vacancies: https://sholajobs.com
Join Our Telegram if You have not Joined it Already
Join us on Telegram ስራዎችን በቴሌግራም ለመከታተል ይህንን ይጫኑ
Telegram channel: https://t.me/ngoethiopia
Please remember to visit www.sholajobs.com whenever you’re looking for a job in Ethiopia. We hope the site will help you find exactly what you’re looking for.